- 2 x 225g rib-eye steaks
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp butter
- 75ml red wine
- 1 tsp tamari
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins + resting
1. Heat your oven to 150°C/Fan 130°C/Gas 2.
2. Unwrap the steaks. Mix the honey, salt, pepper, garlic (peeled and grated), rosemary (leaves finely chopped), and smoked paprika together to make a thick paste. Rub the mix all over the steaks. Prick the steaks all over with a fork – this helps tenderise them and gets the rub right into the meat.
3. Pop the steaks on a baking tray and roast in the preheated oven for 20 mins. Remove from the oven. Pat the steaks dry with kitchen paper (this helps form a nice crust).
4. Set a large frying pan over high heat. Once it’s smoking hot, add 1 tbsp butter. Take off the heat for a moment, swirling the butter round the pan just till it’s melted.
5. Put the pan back on the heat. Add the steaks. Cook for 1-2 mins on each side, or till you get a nice golden crust. Rest for 10 mins before slicing.
6. While the steaks rest, add the wine to the pan. Let it reduce right down till there’s only about 2 tbsp left. Whisk in the remaining 1 tbsp butter and the tamari. Slice the steaks and drizzle over the red wine butter sauce to serve. Lovely served with chips and aioli.