- 2 purple carrots
- 2 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- A pinch of chilli powder
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 300ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 40g tahini
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lemon
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 60g Hugh's summer salad leaves
1. Heat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Scrub and trim the purple and orange carrots (no need to peel), then halve them lengthways. Halve again, then scoop them into a large roasting tin.
2. Peel the red onion and slice it into around 8 wedges. Add them to the carrots. Drain the chickpeas, rinse and shake dry, then add to the roasting tin.
3. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and turn the veg to coat them in the oil. Add 1 tsp ground cumin, a pinch of chilli powder (it's hot, so use as much or as little as you prefer) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake the tin to coat the veg and chickpeas in the spices. Slide the tin into the oven and roast the veg for 20 mins, till they're starting to char at the edges.
4. While the veg roast, tip the bulgar wheat into a heatproof bowl. Pour in 300ml boiling water and swirl with a fork to mix, then cover the bowl with a plate. Set aside to soak while the veg cook – the bulgar will suck up the water and become tender.
5. While the bulgar soaks, make the tahini dressing. Pop the tahini in a bowl, add 1 tbsp maple syrup and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Add 2 tbsp cold water and a pinch of salt, and stir for 1-2 mins to make a smooth sauce. Taste and add a little more maple syrup, lemon juice or salt if you think it needs it. If it's a little thick, add more water.
6. When the veg have roasted for 20 mins, take them out of the over. Scatter over the pumpkin seeds and return the tin to the oven. Roast for another 5-10 mins till the veg are tender and the chickpeas are crisp.
7. Roughly chop the salad leaves. Fluff the bulgar wheat with a fork and divide between 2 warm plates or bowls. Top with the roast veg, chopped salad and chickpeas. Drizzle over the tahini dressing and serve.