- 1 egg
- 200ml natural yogurt
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of sea salt
- 5 tbsp of honey, plus a drizzle for the tops
- 1 large or 2 small carrot, coarsely grated
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- A handful of dried fruit (raisins/chopped dates/apricots)
- A handful of nuts and/or seeds (almonds/sunflower seeds)
- Olive oil to grease muffin tin
- A pinch of oats and nuts/seeds for the top
*VEGAN option: Swap the egg and yogurt for 275ml coconut milk and the honey for maple or agave syrup.
1. Whisk the egg with the yogurt, juice and zest. Set aside.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Fold in the honey, carrot, spice, fruit and nuts. Mix. Pour the egg-yog mix over the top. Smooth it over the top of the dry mix. Then gently fold it through just until everything’s combined. Be careful not to over mix it – so fold, don't stir or whip.
3. Divide between 6-9 holes of a lightly oiled or lined muffin tin. Top each unbaked muffin with a pinch of oats and/or seeds and a drizzle of honey.
4. Bake at 180°C/Gas 4 for 15-20 mins, or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.