- 1 beetroot
- 2 carrots
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- ½ tsp of ground coriander
- ½ tsp of ground turmeric
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped or grated
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar or honey
- 6 tbsp of red wine or cider vinegar
1. Peel and coarsely grate your veg. Toast your cumin seeds in a hot, dry frying pan till fragrant. Tumble in with the veg along with the other spices, the garlic and chilli. Give everything a good scrunchy mix with your hands, or a whip a spoon into action.
2. Warm the sugar or honey with the vinegar till it’s all nicely mingled. Pour over your veg. Swirl it through. Taste. Add a good hit of salt and pepper. Taste again. Tweak as needed.
3. If your mix needs a bit more sweetened vinegar, warm up a little more. The ratio is 1 part sugar/honey to 2 parts vinegar.
4. Eat straight away or pack into jars. Secure with a lid and it’ll keep for a week.