- 2 sirloin minute steaks
- 400g tin of butter beans
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- A handful of wild garlic
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Lay the steaks on a plate or board. Season well on both sides with salt and pepper. Drizzle over 1 tsp olive oil. Rub all over. Set aside. Drain and rinse the butter beans.
2. Trim the tops off your aubergines. Slice into 1cm rounds. Set a large frying pan over a high heat. Dust the aubergines with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook, in a single layer, in the frying pan (no oil needed) till lightly charred on each side, about 5 mins per side. You may need to do this in batches.
3. Arrange the aubergines on a serving plate or dish. Tip the butter beans into the hot pan and add 2 tsp cumin seeds. Cook for 5 mins. Add to the aubergines and stir to mix. Finely grate over the zest from the lemon.
4. Put the pan back back over a high heat. Add the steaks. Cook for 1-3 mins on each side, depending on how well done you like your steak. Set aside on a clean plate or board. Loosely cover with foil. Leave to rest for a few mins.
5. Roughly chop the wild garlic. Add to a food processor with the peeled garlic clove, a good pinch of salt, 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice from the zested lemon and 2 tbsp cold water. Blend till smooth. Taste and add more lemon, water or salt as needed. No processor? See our tip below.
6. Serve the steaks with the pistou drizzled on top and a mound of cumin-spiced aubergines and beans alongside.