- 200g lardons
- 75g butter
- 240g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g gruyère cheese
- 2 eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 100ml full cream milk
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Warm your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Pour a splash of oil into a small frying pan and warm to a medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the lardons. Fry for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally, till the lardons start to crisp at the edges. When the lardons are cooked, scoop them out of the pan and into a bowl.
2. While the lardons cook, melt the butter in a separate pan. When the butter is melted, remove from the heat.
3. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add 1 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Grate in the gruyère and stir well to mix.
4. Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat well. Stir the double cream, milk, melted butter and cooked lardons into the eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients then use a spoon to fold the mixture together, till just combined.
5. Line a muffin tray with 10 large muffin cases. Scoop the batter into the cases, filling each to the top. Slide the tray into the oven and bake for 25-30 mins, till the muffins are well risen and golden brown. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
6. Eat Me, Keep Me
These muffins are best eaten on the day they're made, or they can be frozen for up to 3 months.