- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp vegan fischy sauce
- A pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 red onion
- 500g Jersey Royal potatoes
- 1 avocado
- 100g lamb's lettuce
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15-20 mins
1. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Finely grate the lime zest into a bowl. Squeeze in the juice. Add 1 tbsp each of the demerara sugar and fischy sauce and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add a pinch of chilli flakes (they're spicy, so use as much or as little as you prefer) and a large pinch of salt. Stir again to mix well.
2. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Add it to the lime and chilli dressing. Stir to mix well and set aside. The dressing will lightly pickle the onion while you make the rest of the salad.
3. Scrub the Jersey Royals and chop them into bite-sized chunks. When the water is boiling, add the potatoes to the pan and simmer for 15-20 mins till they're tender when pierced with a knife.
4. While the potatoes simmer, halve the avocado and scoop out the stone. Scoop the flesh out of the avocado skin and roughly chop it. Pop it in a large bowl.
5. Add the lamb's lettuce to the avocado. Drain the potatoes and add them to the bowl, too. Pour in the onions with their lime and chilli dressing. Gently toss to mix and coat everything in the dressing. Serve the salad on warm plates as a meal for two, or transfer to a serving bowl to serve as a side dish.