- 200g risotto rice
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 aubergines
- 1 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp honey
- A handful of coriander
- 1 chilli
- 1 lime
- Sea salt
- 2½ tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Preheat your grill to its highest setting. Tip the rice into a sieve and rinse it with cold water, then tip it into a small pan. Pour in the coconut milk, add a pinch of salt, pop on a lid and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 mins, or till the rice is tender and has absorbed the coconut milk. Remove from the heat and set aside, lid on, to steam for a few mins. The rice will keep warm in the covered pan if it’s ready before the aubergines.
2. While the rice cooks, trim the tops off the aubergines. Cut each aubergine into bite-sized cubes. In a large bowl, mix together 1 tbsp jerk seasoning, 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp oil and a good pinch of salt. Add the aubergines and turn them a few times to coat them in the marinade.
3. Line a baking tray or shallow roasting tin with foil and spread the aubergines out in it in a single layer. Slide under the grill for 5 mins, then turn the aubergines over and cook for 5-6 mins on the other side, till golden brown and tender.
4. While the aubergines are grilling, halve and finely chop the chilli, flicking out the seeds if you prefer less heat (or leave them in for a spicier dish). Place the chilli in a small bowl. Finely chop the coriander stalks and leaves and add them to the bowl. Finely grate in the zest from the lime and squeeze in the juice. Pour in ½ tbsp oil, add a pinch of salt and stir to make a salsa.
5. Divide the rice between 2 warm plates and top with the jerk spiced aubergines. Spoon over the chilli, lime and coriander salsa to serve.