- ½ red pointed cabbage (or a normal red cabbage)
- 1 orange or 2-3 clementines
- A good splash of balsamic vinegar
- A nice drizzle of olive oil
- A pinch of chilli powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few slices of pancetta or parma ham (optional)
- A wedge of parmesan (about 50g)
- 10-12 smallish sage leaves
Give this recipe a vegan twist by swapping the Parmesan and parma ham with toasted pinenuts and garlicky croutons (tear hunks of bread, fry in a little oil with some chopped garlic and a pinch of salt).
1. Carve the core from your cabbage. Finely shred.
2. Grate over a little zest from your orange/clems. Squeeze over the juice. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, a pinch of chilli powder, sea salt and black pepper. Mix well. Taste. Adjust seasoning/dressing, if needed.
3. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Snip the pancetta or parma ham intochunks. Crisp up in the warm pan, adding a little oil, if needed, till crisp. Remove.
4. Add the sage leaves to the hot pan and sizzle for a mo, just till crisp.
5. Scatter the crispy sage and pancetta/parma over the salad. Use a veg peeler to carve wispy shreds of parmesan over the top. Gently mix everything through. Give it a good taste. Make any last minute adjustments. Serve.