- 400g beef, lamb or buffalo mince
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- ½ mug of balsamic vinegar, plus a bit more for cooking
- ½ mug of breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A dot of butter
Delicious with a slice of mozzarella melted over the top, or a dollop of garlic mayonnaise made by simply adding some finely chopped garlic to a tip-top mayo.
1. Mix the mince with the egg, garlic, rosemary, balsamic and breadcrumbs. Season generously. Splash in a bit of oil and mix well. If it feels dry, add more oil. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Test the seasoning by frying a little spoonful of the mix in a little olive oil. Taste, and adjust seasoning accordingly.
2. Once you’re happy, divide the mix into 6 balls and shape into burgers. Fry them (in batches or two pans) in a lightly oiled pan over high heat till golden on each side. When they’re just about done, add a little nugget of butter to the pan to baste the burger with, and drizzle a little bit of balsamic over each burger. This will keep them moist and give them the most delicious flavour.