- A bundle of asparagus
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- A good pinch of fresh red chilli or chilli powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 mugs of sunflower oil for frying
- A splash of olive oil and/or a knob of butter
- 2 leeks or 4 spring onions.
- ½ mug of plain white flour
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
1. Rinse your asparagus. Shake dry. Cut into 2-3cm bits at a diagonal. Set aside.
Mix the spices, chilli and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Pour the oil into a small saucepan over high heat.
Cut about 6cm off the top of the leeks/spring onions and trim the rooty end. Halve lengthways. Slice into thin wisps. Toss with a pinch of salt and the flour. Shake off excess flour in a sieve.
Deep fry the leeks/spring onoins till just golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Use the sieve to shake off excess oil. Toss with a little salt. Set aside.
Heat a large frying pan. Toast the spices till fragrant. Add the asparagus and a little oil/butter. Mix and cook for a couple of mins to soften the asparagus. Grate in some lemon zest. Squeeze in a good bit of juice.
7. Taste. Adjust seasoning. Pile onto a plate. Scatter the crispy leeks/spring onions over the top.