- 3 red onions
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Demerara sugar
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 100ml pale ale
- 3 French Country demi baguettes
- 6 hot dogs
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel and finely slice the onion. Melt the butter in a frying pan with the oil. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook and stir over a low heat for 10 mins till soft and golden.
2. Stir in the mustard seeds and Demerara sugar. Run a fork down the thyme sprigs and add the leaves to the onions. Pour in the ale. Cover and simmer for 20 mins till the onions are soft and melting.
3. While the onions cook, sprinkle the baguettes with a little water and bake for 8 mins till golden. Slice into six halves.
4. Heat your grill to high. Grill the hot dogs for 4-5 mins, turning a few times, till heated through. Split the baguette chunks in half and pop in a hot dog. Spoon over the red onions and serve.