- 8 hot cross buns
- 150g butter, softened
- 75g marmalade
- 100g dark chocolate (or leftover Easter egg chocolate)
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 550ml full cream milk
- 150ml double cream, plus extra to serve
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 heaped tbsp raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Custard, to serve (optional)
Prep: 30 mins + soaking | Cook: 25-30 mins
1. Slice the hot cross buns widthways into four rounds each. Thickly spread each round with butter. Spread half the rounds with marmalade. Finely chop the chocolate.
2. Arrange half the hot cross bun rounds in a large ovenproof dish in overlapping rows. Sprinkle half the chocolate over the buns and dust with 1 tsp mixed spice. Repeat with the remaining hot cross bun rounds, chocolate and mixed spice, overlapping the rounds in the dish.
3. Pour the milk into a small pan. Add the double cream and gently warm till just steaming. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract till well combined. Slowly pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly as you add it, till the eggs and milk are smoothly combined. Pour over the hot cross buns. Set aside for 30 mins to soak.
4. When you're ready to cook the pudding, preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Bake the hot cross bun pudding for 25-30 mins, till the top is golden brown and a little crisp. Serve the pudding warm with cream or custard.
5. Love Your Leftovers
This pudding is a great way to use up leftover hot cross buns, especially if they have gone a bit stale. Outside of Easter, you can swap the hot cross buns for ordinary fruit buns, leftover brioche or just plain slices of bread.