- 500g carrots
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 35g flaked almonds
- 40g honey
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- A handful of dill
- 100g feta
- 50g sweet salad mix
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30-35 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Place a roasting tin in the oven to warm up. Dissolve your stock cube in 200 ml boiling water. Scrub and trim the carrots. Slice into quarters lengthways. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Peel and grate the garlic.
2. Tumble the carrots into the roasting tin. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 mins.
3. Meanwhile, warm a dry pan over a medium heat. Add the almonds. Toast for 2-3 mins. Shake the pan to keep turning them till they’re golden. Tip into a bowl.
4. Put the pan back on the heat. Add ½ tbsp olive oil. Tip in the onion and fry for 5 mins. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Add the bulgar wheat. Pour in the stock. Pop on a lid and bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down. Simmer for 10 mins till all the water is absorbed. Take off the heat.
5. After the carrots have roasted for 20 mins, drizzle over the honey and scatter over 1 tsp caraway seeds. Roast for a further 10 mins.
6. Pull the soft leaves off the dill stalks. Finely chop them. Crumble ½ pack of feta (see our tip for what to do with the rest). Whisk 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar with ½ tbsp olive oil and some salt and pepper to make a dressing. Toss with the salad leaves.
7. When the bulgar is cooked, add the roasted carrots, plus most of the dill and feta. Toss to mix. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve topped with the toasted almonds, crumbled feta and remaining dill and with the salad on the side.
8. When the bulgar is cooked, add the carrots, most of the dill and feta. Toss to mix. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve topped with the toasted almonds, the remaining dill and the feta with the salad on the side.