- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 400g tin of borlotti beans
- 150g white basmati rice
- 300ml boiling water
- 100g feta
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 18 mins
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Peel and finely chop the onion. Put a medium-sized pan on a medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, then fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the onion starts to look glossy.
2. While the onion fries, peel and grate or finely chop the garlic. Finely grate the zest from the lemon.
3. Stir the garlic, lemon and spinach into the onion. Fry, stirring, for 3 mins till the spinach starts to wilt.
4. Drain the borlotti beans and tip them into the pan. Tip in the rice and stir it all together to mix.
5. Pour 300ml boiling water into the pan. Pop on a lid, bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and gently simmer the rice for 8 mins till it has absorbed the water and become tender and fluffy. Take the rice off the heat and leave to steam in the pan, lid on, for 2 mins.
6. Crumble half the pack of feta. Taste the rice and gently stir in a pinch of salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Divide the rice between 2 warm bowls. Top with the crumbled feta and serve with wedges of the lemon for squeezing.
7. Bean there, done that
No borlotti beans, or not a fan? Fret not, this recipe also works well with cannellini beans.