- 3 glugs of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ a thumb of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli powder, to your taste (optional)
- Enough potatoes for 4, scrubbed and cut into halves or bite-sized pieces
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a hot, lidded frying pan. Fry the cumin and mustard seeds for a min or so till they pop. Add the ginger, garlic and onion. Fry for another min. Add the turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder, if using. Cook for a min.
2. Turn the heat to low. Add the potatoes. Mix in half a mug of water, cover and cook for 10-15 mins or till the potatoes are tender. Stir often. Add a bit of water to stop them sticking to the pan as they cook, but not too much. They should be quite dry when you serve them.
3. Once they’re done, scatter some fresh coriander over the top and tuck in.