- 1 beetroot
- 1 red onion
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the beetroot and chop it into 1cm-thick chunks (no need to peel). Peel the red onion and cut it into wedges. Pop them both into a small roasting tin.
2. Drain the chickpeas and rinse with cold water. Shake dry and tip half the chickpeas into the roasting tin. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 30 mins.
3. Meanwhile, tip the remaining chickpeas into a food processor. Peel and grate in 1 garlic clove. Zest and juice in 1 lemon. Add 1 tbsp tahini, 2 tbsp cold water and 2 tbsp olive oil. When the beetroot and red onion have roasted, add most of them to the processor (keep back all the roasted chickpeas). Blitz till smooth, adding more salt, pepper or water if needed.
4. Scoop the houmous into a bowl and top with the reserved roasted chickpeas, onion and beetroot. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves to serve.