- 4 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 carrots
- 2 tbsp flour
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 250g beef stir fry strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 350ml boiling water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 100g spring greens
- 50ml full cream milk
- 1 tbsp horseradish mustard
1. Peel the shallots and cut them into quarters. Peel the garlic clove and crush or finely chop it. Trim 1 carrot and chop into small dice.
2. Warm a heavy-based pan or casserole dish over a medium-high heat to warm. Tip 2 tbsp flour onto a plate and sprinkle over salt and pepper. Toss the beef strips in the seasoned flour till coated. Pour 1 tbsp oil into the pan and add the beef. Fry for 5 mins, stirring one or twice, till browned all over. Scoop the beef out of the pan and onto a plate.
3. Reduce the temperature of the empty pan to medium. Slide in the shallots and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till golden. Add the chopped carrot and garlic to the pan. Sprinkle in the thyme leaves. Return the beef and any juices from the plate. Pour in 350ml boiling water and crumble in the beef stock cube. Stir well.
4. Bring the stew to the boil, then cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 35-40 mins, till the beef is tender.
5. Meanwhile, fill a large pan with boiling water and sprinkle in a little salt. Peel the sweet potatoes and dice into small chunks. Peel the remaining carrot and cut into pieces similar in size to the sweet potatoes. Tip both into the boiling water and simmer for 20 mins, till tender.
6. Trim any woody ends away from the spring greens, and shred the leaves. When the stew is cooked, stir in the spring greens and cook for a further 4-5 mins, till wilted. Have a taste and add a little more salt and pepper if needed.
7. Drain the tender sweet potatoes and carrot. Tip the veg back into the pan. Pour in 2 tbsp milk and 1 tbsp horseradish mustard. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash everything together till smooth, adding more milk if needed.
8. Spoon the mash onto plates and serve topped with the rich beef stew.