- 4 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 carrots
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 2 tbsp flour
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g beef stir fry strips
- 350ml boiling water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 100g spring greens
- 50ml full cream milk
- 1 tbsp horseradish mustard
1. Peel and quarter the shallots. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic. Trim 1 carrot and finely dice it. Strip the thyme leaves off their sprigs.
2. Warm a heavy-based pan or casserole dish on a medium-high heat. Tip 2 tbsp flour onto a plate and season with a little salt and pepper. Toss the beef strips in the seasoned flour to coat. Pour 1 tbsp oil into the warm pan and add the beef. Fry for 5 mins, stirring once or twice, till browned all over. Scoop the beef out of the pan onto a plate.
3. Turn the heat under the pan down to medium. Add the shallots and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till golden. Add the chopped carrot, the garlic and the thyme leaves to the pan. Tip the beef back into the pan along with any juices from the plate. Pour in 350ml boiling water and crumble in the stock cube. Stir to dissolve.
4. Bring the stew to the boil, then cover with a lid and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook for 35-40 mins, till the beef is tender.
5. Meanwhile, fill a large pan with boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Peel the remaining carrot and cut it to match the sweet potatoes. Add both to the boiling water and simmer for 20 mins, till easily pierced with a fork.
6. Trim any dry or woody ends off the spring greens then shred the leaves. When the stew has cooked for 35-40 mins, stir in the spring greens and simmer for 4-5 mins to wilt them. Taste and add a little more salt or pepper if you think the stew needs it.
7. Drain the carrot and sweet potatoes then tip them back into their pan. Add 2 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp horseradish mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash together till smooth, adding more milk if needed.
8. Divide the mash between a couple of warm plates, top it with plenty of jobeef stew and serve straight away.