- 500g jumbo porridge oats
- 150g flaked or roughly chopped whole almonds
- 150g mix seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, linseed etc)
- 200g dried dates
- 200ml cold water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 bananas
- 50g almond butter
- 100g raisins or sultanas
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 35-50 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
2. Tip the oats, seeds and almonds into a large bowl and mix together.
3. Roughly chop the dates. Add them to a pan with 200ml cold water and the coconut oil. Bubble and cook for 10-15 mins till dates have broken down. Use a stick blender to make a purée if necessary.
4. Peel and mash the bananas with the almond butter. Stir in the date mixture.
5. Pour the date and banana mix over the oat mix and fold them together to combine.
6. Divide the granola mixture equally between 2 lined baking trays and spread it out into a thin, even layer, making sure there aren’t any large clumps.
7. Bake for 25-40 mins, turning and breaking the mix up after 10 mins, then every 5 mins till golden and becoming crisp. Keep a close eye on it as it will burn quickly, particularly at the edges. The granola will crisp up as it cools.
8. Remove the baked granola from the oven and leave it to cool.
9. Tip the cooled granola into a large tub or mixing bowl. Add any sultanas or raisins and stir.
10. Serve in large spoonfuls with a dollop of yogurt and your favourite fresh fruit.
The granola can be stored in an airtight container for up 2 weeks, or you can freeze it in portions for 2-3 months.
12. Worth its weight
This recipe makes approximately 1.2kg of granola.