- 1 orange
- 8 juniper berries
- 2 pork loin steaks
- ½ green cabbage
- A handful of rosemay, leaves only
- A 150g polenta
- A 45g pot of butter
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 500ml + 3 tbsp boiling water
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20-25 mins
1. Zest and juice the orange. Crush the juniper berries lightly with the back of the knife. This will release more flavour from the berries when they’re cooked.
2. Warm a frying pan over a medium heat. Add ½ tbsp oil. Fry the pork for 4 mins on each side till golden.
3. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and orange juice. Throw in the crushed juniper berries and orange zest. Add 3 tbsp boiling water. Clamp on a lid and simmer for 10 mins. Halve your cabbage. Finely shred one half (see our tip for what to do with the rest). Finely chop the rosemary leaves.
4. Pour 500ml boiling water into a large pan over a low heat. Add a good pinch of salt. Swirl the water with a wooden spoon and slowly pour in the polenta. Stir continuously till the polenta begins to thicken. Add the rosemary. Simmer over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. The polenta will absorb all the water.
5. Put the cabbage into another pan and cover with boiling water. Cook for 3-5 mins till tender and bright green. Drain and cover to keep warm.
6. Cube the butter. Add two-thirds to the polenta and stir through to melt. Season.
7. The pork will be cooked through by now. Remove them from the pan and place on a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining butter to the sauce. Taste and season if needed. Serve the pork on top of the creamy polenta with cabbage on the side.