- 150g white basmati rice
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 red pepper
- 2 vine tomatoes
- ½ tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 limes
- 400g tin of black beans
- 1-2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 1 avocado
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil and then turn the heat right down. Simmer very gently for 8 mins till all the water has been absorbed, then take off the heat and leave to steam, lid on, for 5 mins.
2. While the rice cooks, halve the red pepper and scoop out the seeds and white pith, then roughly chop it. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Set a medium pan on a medium heat and add ½ tbsp oil and the diced veg. Season with a pinch of salt and fry, stirring often, for 5-6 mins till the veg are glossy and starting to soften.
3. While the veg fry, finely chop the parsley stalks, setting the leaves aside for later. Finely grate the zest from 1 lime.
4. Add the parsley stalks and lime zest, then add 1-2 tsp fajita seasoning (use as much or as little as you prefer). Cook and stir for 2 mins, then tip in the black beans with the liquid from their tin. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally, till the beans are tender.
5. While the beans simmer, halve the avocado and scoop out the stone with a spoon. Dice the flesh, discarding the skin, then tip into a bowl. Squeeze in the juice from half the zested lime and season with a small pinch of salt. Gently stir to mix.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide between 2 warm bowls. Spoon over the black beans and top with the diced avocado. Garnish with the parsley leaves and serve with wedges of the remaining lime on the side for squeezing.