- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- A head of broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 200g white basmati rice
- 400ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g beef, cut into strips
- 2 tsp China 5 spice
- 1 lime
- 35g peanuts or cashews
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Halve the red pepper, scoop out the seeds and white bits and slice the pepper into thin strips.
2. Break the broccoli into small florets. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the carrots into thin strips or ribbons.
3. Tip the rice into a bowl. Cover it with cold water and whisk the rice for 1-2 mins till the water turns cloudy (this is the starch). Drain the rice and give it a rinse under the cold tap.
4. Tip the rice into a small pan. Pour in 400ml boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down and gently simmer for 8 mins till the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Take the pan off the heat and set aside, lid on, for 5 mins to steam and finish cooking the rice.
5. Warm a deep frying pan or wok on a high heat for 1 min. When warm, pour in 1 tbsp oil. Tip in the beef strips and stir fry for 3-4 mins till browned. Use a slotted spoon to lift the browned beef out into a bowl.
6. Keep the pan on the heat and add in all the veg except the carrot. Stir fry for 4-5 mins. Add the beef back to the pan, along with any juices from the plate. Sprinkle over 2 tsp of the China 5 spice and toss together. Roughly chop the peanuts or cashews.
7. Add the carrot to the pan and toss everything together for 2 mins. Spoon the rice into warm bowls., top with the beef stir-fry and scatter over the chopped nuts. Serve with wedges of lime to squeeze over.