- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- A head of broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 200g white basmati rice
- 400ml boiling water
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g beef, cut into strips
- 2 tsp China 5 spice
- 1 lime
- 35g peanuts or cashews
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Halve the red pepper and scoop out the seeds and white bits. Slice into thin strips.
2. Break the broccoli into small florets. Use a vegetable peeler to cut the carrots into long, thin strips.
3. Tip the rice into a bowl. Cover with cold water. Whisk the rice for 1-2 mins till the water turns cloudy (this is the starch). Drain the rice. Rinse under cold water.
4. Tip the rice into a small pan. Pour in 400 ml boiling water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down. Gently simmer for 8 mins till the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take off the heat. Set aside, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice.
5. Heat a deep frying pan or wok over a high heat for 1 min. When warm, pour in 1 tbsp oil. Tip in the beef strips. Stir fry for 3-4 mins till browned. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
6. Keep the pan on the heat. Add in all the veg except the carrot. Stir fry for 4-5 mins. Add the beef back to the pan, along with any juices from the plate. Sprinkle in 2 tsp of the China 5 spice and toss together. Roughly chop the peanuts.
7. Throw in the carrot strips. Toss together for 2 mins. Spoon the rice into warm bowls. Top with the beef stir-fry. Scatter over the chopped peanuts and serve with wedges of lime to squeeze over.