- 2 aubergines
- 400g chickpeas
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lemon
- 40g tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 large handfuls of baby leaf spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp cold water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 50 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
2. Put the whole aubergines on a baking tray and slide into the oven. Roast for 50 mins till soft in the middle.
3. While the aubergines roast, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Tip into a bowl. Pour in 2 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle in 1 tsp of the ground cumin and a pinch of chilli flakes (our chilli flakes are hot so use as much or as little as you like). Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the spiced chickpeas onto a baking tray in a single layer. Slide into the oven below the aubergines. Roast for 25 mins till crispy. Toss halfway through the cooking time.
5. Juice half the lemon (keep the other half for later). Peel and crush the garlic clove. Whisk the lemon juice and the crushed garlic with the tahini and 2 tbsp cold water. Season.
6. Check the aubergines are cooked by carefully squeezing the widest part. Cook a little longer if they feel firm.
7. Split the aubergines in half like a jacket potato. Sprinkle on a little salt. Add a handful of baby leaf spinach. Scatter over some crispy roasted chickpeas. Drizzle over the tahini sauce. Serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.