- 250g plain white flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- 125g cold, unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 3 ½ tbsp cold water
- 100ml crème fraîche or cream
- Black pepper
- 200g cheddar, grated
- 3 medium-sized eating apples, peeled and finely diced
- 100g smoked ham, shredded or chopped in cubes
- Freshly grated nutmeg
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/ Gas 6.
2. Add the flour, butter, and a pinch of salt to a bowl. Cube the butter, coating in the flour as you go.
3. Add the yolk of an egg to the mix. Save the white. Rub the butter and yolk through the flour till it’s like fine breadcrumbs.
4. Sprinkle the water over little by little. Stir. Work into a soft dough with your hands.
5. Roll the pastry to ½-1cm thick on a floured surface. Use your tin to check it’s big enough. Dust flour over the pastry. Gently fold in half, and again. Unfold in the tin and gently push it into the sides. Let it overhang a bit. Trim to fit. Line with baking paper. Fill with baking beans (or coins). Bake for 15 mins.
6. Whisk the eggs and egg white. Whip in the crème fraîche or cream and a good bit of pepper. Mix in the cheese, diced apple, ham and a little nutmeg.
7. When the pastry is crisp, remove parchment and beans/coins. Trim pastry on the sides. Pour in the filling. Smooth over. Bake for 30 mins or till golden and set.