- 125ml full cream milk
- 175ml double cream
- 100ml chocolate stout
- 500g raw cane sugar
- 100g dark chocolate buttons
- 25g butter
- Optional Toppings:
- A handful of toasted peanuts
- A handful of toasted almonds
- A handful of pretzels
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Line a small baking tin with baking parchment. Pour the milk, cream, chocolate stout and sugar into your largest pan. Bring up to a boil and keep cooking until it reaches the soft boil stage (see tip below) or 114°C on a thermometer. This can take about 20 mins. Stir regularly and carefully, as the mix can bubble up.
2. As soon as it reaches the right temperature, turn off the heat and add the chocolate buttons and butter. Stir well. Leave to cool for 10 mins.
3. After 10 mins, whisk the mixture vigourously till the fudge is no longer shiny and has thickened. Pour into the lined tin. Sprinkle over any toppings. Leave to cool completely, then cut into small squares and serve.
4. Checking The Soft Boil Stage
If you don't have a thermometer, check your fudge is ready by spooning a small amount of the mix into a large glass of cold water. The mixture should hold together and form a soft ball that you can easily hold between your fingers and not disintegrate or disperse in the water. Keep cooking till you reach the soft boil stage.
5. Eat Me, Keep Me
The fudge will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.