- 150g red quinoa
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- ½-1 tsp chilli spice blend/chilli powder
- 4 eggs
- ½-1 tbsp hot red pepper oil
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Tip the red quinoa into a small pan. Pour in 300ml hot water from the kettle and add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low and very gently simmer for 12-15 mins till the quinoa has absorbed the water and become tender.
2. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the pepper, scoop out the seeds and white pith, then finely chop it. Dice the tomatoes.
3. Put a deep frying pan or wok on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Add the chopped veg and season with a pinch of salt. Fry, stirring often, for 8 mins till the veg are glossy and starting to soften.
4. While the veg fry, halve the avocado. Scoop out the stone, then scoop the flesh out of the skin. Slice or chop the avocado flesh and set aside.
5. Add ½-1 tsp chilli spice blend to the veg (it's hot, so use as much or as little as you prefer). Stir fry for 1 min, then slide the veg to the side of the pan. If the empty side of the pan looks a little dry, drizzle in a little more oil. Crack the eggs into the empty side and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scramble them, cooking for 2-3 mins till just set.
6. Tip the red quinoa into the pan and stir fry for 1-2 mins to mix everything together. Scoop the egg-fried quinoa into warm bowls. Serve topped with the avocado and a drizzle of red hot pepper oil (it's very spicy, so start with a little, and add more if you want to really turn up the heat).