- 500g tomatoes, any variety (the smaller ones cook faster)
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100g honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Halve the tomatoes. Toss in a bowl with a good pinch of sea salt. Arrange on a roasting tray. Cook in a lower shelf in your oven till the tomatoes are shrivelled, sweet and sticky. Larger tomatoes will take about 1 ½ hrs to cook, cherry tomatoes will cook much faster.
3. Mix the chilli, garlic, honey and vinegar in a smallish sauce or frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat for about 2 mins, allowing the mix to bubble and froth up a little. Stir frequently. Spoon into a dish. It’ll thicken up once fully cooled.
4. Drizzle over the warm tomatoes when they come out of the oven. Use any remaining sauce for chips, calamari, etc. It’ll keep for a week in the fridge.