- 4 good-sized onions or 8 smaller ones (any colour – red or white)
- 1 mug breadcrumbs
- A nugget of butter, plus a little more for baking
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- A good pinch of ground cloves
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Pop your onions in a pot of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15-30 mins (varies according to size), until the skins star to loosen and the onions start to soften.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
3. Once the onions are soft, rinse under cold water to cool. Remove the skins. Gently pull or cut off the root end and pull out a third of the inside – the slender bit right in the middle.
4. Add the bit you’ve pulled out of the onion to the breadcrumbs and remaining ingredients. Whiz them up in a food processor. Or, finely chop the herbs, garlic and onion centres. Then rub all the ingredients together with your hands like you’re making pastry. Taste the mix; adjust seasoning as needed.
5. Fill the onions with the stuffing filling, right to the tops. Place on a baking tray with a little extra butter or a drizzle of olive oil. Roast until the onions start to pick up colour. Serve warm.