- 300g baby leaf spinach
- 50g butter
- ½ nutmeg
- 8 tbsp double cream
- 2 eggs
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill a large pan of water and bring it to the boil.
2. When the water is boiling, drop the spinach into the pan for 1 min then drain and plunge into ice cold water. Squeeze out the water, then finely chop it.
3. Melt the butter in a pan. Add in the spinach, grate in plenty of nutmeg and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour in 4 tbsp double cream and mix together. Cook for 1-2 mins to warm through and thicken the cream.
4. Spoon the spinach into small ovenproof dishes and make shallow wells in the centre. Crack an egg into each. Pour 2 tbsp double cream over each egg. Grate over a little more nutmeg and sprinkle over some salt and pepper.
5. Place the ramekins into a deep-sided ovenproof dish. Pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the ramekins. Slide into the oven and bake for 12-16 mins till the eggs are as set as you like. Serve straight away with hot buttered sourdough toast.