- 150g white basmati rice
- Sea salt
- 550ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 boneless pork loin steaks
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g white mushrooms
- Freshly ground pepper
- 50g baby leaf spinach
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Tip the rice into a sieve, rinse under cold water, then tip it into a small pan. Add a pinch of salt and pour in 300ml boiling water. Pop a lid on the pan, bring to the boil and then turn the heat right down. Very gently simmer for 8 mins till the rice has absorbed all the water and is tender. Take off the heat and leave to steam in the pan, lid on, for 5 mins.
2. Meanwhile, place a deep frying pan on a mediumhigh heat for 2 mins. Add ½ tbsp olive oil and the pork loin steaks. Fry for 3 mins, till golden brown underneath, then flip and fry for another 2 mins till browned.
3. While the pork steaks fry, crumble the stock cube into a heatproof jug. Add 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard. Pour in 250ml boiling water and stir to dissolve the stock cube. Peel and crush or grate the garlic. Rinse the mushrooms and tear them into chunky pieces.
4. Lift the pork steaks out of the pan and set them to one side on a plate. Turn the heat down to medium. Add another ½ tbsp olive oil with the mushrooms, and a small pinch of salt and pepper. Fry, stirring often, for 3 mins till the mushrooms start to look juicy. Stir in the garlic. Cook and stir for 1 min.
5. Return the pork steaks to the pan. Pour in the stock. Pop a lid on the frying pan – or use a baking tray if you don’t have a lid – and simmer the pork steaks for 8 mins till cooked through and the mushrooms are tender.
6. Add the spinach to the frying pan and gently stir and press it in to wilt it. Taste, and add a pinch more salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide between 2 warm plates. Top with the pork steaks, veg and their gravy. Serve straight away.