- 150g white basmati rice
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 vine tomatoes
- 200ml coconut milk
- A handful of coriander
- ½-1 tbsp Goan curry paste
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 100g 50/50 crab meat
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down. Gently cook for 8 mins till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice. It will stay warm in the pan.
2. While the rice is cooking, peel and finely chop the onion. Place a deep frying pan or wok on a medium heat and warm 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion and fry for 5 mins till it's glossy. Stir often.
3. Meanwhile, dice the tomatoes. Finely chop the coriander leaves and stalks.
4. When the onion has cooked for 5 mins, add the tomato and half the coriander. Add ½-1 tbsp Goan curry paste (it's spicy, so use as little or as much as you prefer) and ½ tbsp tamarind paste. Stir and cook for 3 mins till the tomatoes have softened slightly. Pour in the coconut milk and bring up to a bubble.
5. Add the crab meat and stir. Cook for 1 min to warm the crab through. Taste the curry and add more salt or tamarind paste if you think it needs it.
6. Fluff the rice and divide it between a couple of warm bowls. Spoon over the crab curry and garnish with the remaining coriander to serve.