- 2 large potatoes
- 12 beef meatballs
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g chopped tomatoes with basil
- 200g cavolo nero
- 40g Parmesan
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200ml cold water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and slice them into 6-8 wedges each (no need to peel them). Pop the wedges into a large ovenproof dish and add the meatballs.
2. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the parsley stalks, setting the leaves to one side. Add the garlic and parsley stalks to the dish with 1 tsp dried oregano, 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss together to coat, then slide the dish into the oven to roast for 30 mins till the potatoes and meatballs are lightly browned.
3. While the veg and meatballs roast, tip the chopped tomatoes into a jug. Half-fill the tin with around 200ml cold water, pour that in and stir.
4. Trim the dry ends off the cavolo nero and finely slice the leaves. Pop them in a bowl with ½ tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Use your hands to massage the oil into the cavolo nero for 2-3 mins to start to soften and wilt the leaves. They'll begin to turn dark green.
5. After 30 mins, take the dish out of the oven. Pour the tomato stock over the veg and meatballs. Stir in the cavolo nero and return the dish to the oven for 15 mins. The meatballs and veg will be tender and cooked through.
6. Spoon the veg and meatball bake into a couple of warm bowls. Top with the parsley leaves and serve with the Parmesan on the side to grate over.