- 1.7kg chicken
- 500g pot of yogurt
- A pinch of saffron powder
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 bay leaves
1. Unwrap your chicken. Remove the giblets (find a tip for them at the end). Put the chicken in a roasting tin.
2. Pour half the yogurt into a bowl. Add a pinch of saffron powder, the zest of your lemon, a squeeze of juice and a good pinch of salt. Mix.
3. Spread on as much mix as you need to thinly coat the chicken all over. Rub a little in the cavity as well. Put half the lemon and the bay leaves in the chicken cavity.
4. Save the other lemon half and any remaining yogurt to serve with the chicken. Make up a little more using the remaining saffron and yogurt, if needed.
5. Save the other lemon half and any remaining yogurt to serve with the chicken. Make up a little more using the remaining saffron and yogurt, if needed.
6. Cover the whole roasting tin with foil and marinate the chicken for at least 30 mins at room temp or overnight in the fridge if possible. If doing the latter, make sure you bring the chicken back to room temperature before cooking.
7. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Keep the chicken covered and roast for 1 hr.
8. Remove the chicken from the oven. Turn the oven up to 220°C/Gas 7. Uncover the chicken. Return to the oven to cook for 15 mins or till golden and the juices run clear when you pierce the fattest part of the leg. Cook a little longer if the juices are not clear.
9. Let the chicken rest a good 30 mins to 1 hr before carving. Squeeze a little lemon from the cavity over the chicken to baste. Serve with the remaining saffron yogurt and fresh lemon.