- 1 pomegranate
- 300g parsnips
- 300g potatoes
- 300g lamb neck fillet
- 5 cardamom pods
- ½ green cabbage
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 45g butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Halve the pomegranate. Place one half, cut-side down, in the palm of your hand. Place a sieve over a bowl and tap the pomegranate with a wooden spoon so the seeds tumble into the sieve. Repeat with the other half. Transfer 2 tbsp of the pomegranate seeds to a separate bowl. Squeeze the remaining seeds in the sieve with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Set the juice aside and discard the squeezed seeds.
2. Peel and roughly chop the parsnips and potatoes. Pop in a pan and cover with boiling water. Simmer for 15 mins till the veg is tender.
3. Heat a frying pan. Rub the lamb neck fillet with 2 tsp olive oil. Place into the frying pan and cook for 5 mins, turning the fillet over half way through. If your pan is oven proof, place it into the oven to finish cooking for 15 mins. Or transfer the fillet to an ovenproof dish for 15 mins.
4. While the lamb is cooking, crush the cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle. Remove the papery husks and leave the seeds in the mortar. Finely crush them.
5. Finely slice the cabbage and place in a pan. Roughly chop the parsley leaves.
6. The parsnips and potatoes should be cooked. Drain them and shake dry. Place them back into the pan. Add half the butter, the cardamom seeds and ½ tsp cinnamon. Mash together with plenty of seasoning. Place a lid on the pan to keep warm.
7. Remove the lamb from the oven and place it on a plate to rest. Put the frying pan back on a low heat. Add the squeezed pomegranate juice, 2 tsp honey and the remaining butter. Cook gently for 5 mins till syrupy and thick.
8. While the pomegranate glaze is cooking, pour boiling water over the sliced cabbage. Simmer for 2-3 mins till tender. Drain.
9. Thinly slice the lamb neck. Heap the spiced parsnip mash onto two plates. Top with the lamb and drizzle over the glaze. Scatter over chopped parsley and the reserved pomegranate seeds. Serve with the tender cabbage.