- FOR THE PINK POACHED RHUBARB:
- 800g rhubarb
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 orange
- A glug of rhubarb liqueur or your favourite tipple (optional)
- FOR THE CUSTARD:
- 6 eggs, yolks only
- 1 ½ tbsp. cornflour
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 600ml full cream milk
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1 vanilla pod
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- 1 Persian love cake
- 100g crystalised ginger
- 4 tbsp rhubarb liqueur or your favourite tipple (optional)
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 500g double cream
- 100g pistachios
- 50g crystalised ginger (optional)
Allow extra time for cooling the rhubarb and the custard.
You can leave the trifle to stand for a couple of hours in the fridge to set it slightly.
You can also use ready made custard. You will need about 600ml for this recipe. It might not be as thick or set as well as the home made custard, but just as delicious (and quicker).
1. Wash and trim the rhubarb. Cut it into 3cm lengths and arrange in a single layer in a baking dish. Zest and juice the orange and add to the rhubarb. Nestle in the vanilla pod. Sprinkle over the sugar.
2. Cover tightly with foil. Slide into the oven and cook for 15 mins. The rhubarb should be still al dente after this time- cook a little longer if too firm. Leave to cool, still covered, till the rhubarb is soft. It will hold its shape but not be stringy.
3. To make the custard separate the eggs. Mix the yolks with the cornflour, sugar and ground ginger in a large jug.
4. Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into a pan. Crush the cardamom pods to open them and add those too.
5. Pour in the milk and into the pan and pop it on a gentle heat. Just before it begins to bubble, slowly pour the hot milk on to the egg yolks, through a sieve to remove the vanilla and cardamom pods, stirring constantly.
6. Pour this mix back into the cleaned pan and place on a low heat. Simmer gently for around 20 mins stirring constantly till the custard is thick- the consistency of Greek yogurt. Leave to cool completely.
7. When you are ready to assemble the trifle, whip the double cream till it stands in soft peaks.
8. Slice the Persian Love Cake into 6-8 slices. Line the bottom of a large bowl or 6-8 individual bowls. Spoon over the poached rhubarb. Drizzle in some of your favourite tipple at this point too. If you’re not adding alcohol to your trifle, spoon in a few tablespoons of the rhubarb cooking liquid. Finely chop the crystalised ginger and scatter those over.
9. Top with the cardamom and ginger infused custard. Dollop on the cream, creating some rough peaks. Scatter over the chopped pistachios, some crystallised ginger and serve.