- 500g mixed purple, golden and choggia beetroot
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 50g walnut halves
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- A large handful of flat leaf parsley
- 100g sheep's cheese
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the beetroot clean and use a sharp knife to cut the beetroot into 1cm-thick slices. Arrange the slices in a roasting tin. Pick the thyme leaves off their woody sprigs and sprinkle on top, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and toss everything together till coated. Slide into the oven and roast for 20 mins, till tender and starting to caramelise.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Finely grate the lemon zest into a small bowl and squeeze in the juice. Whisk in 1 tbsp olive oil and a little salt and pepper till well combined. Taste and add more oil, salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
3. When the beetroot has roasted for 20 mins, remove the roasting tin from the oven. Sprinkle the walnut halves over the beetroot and return to the oven for 5 more mins.
4. Roughly chop the parsley and slide into a large bowl. Add the spinach leaves. When the beetroot and nuts are cooked, toss them into the bowl and pour in the dressing. Give everything a good mix.
5. Divide the beetroot salad between warm plates and dot over the sheep’s cheese. Crack a little pepper over the top and serve.