- 2 red onions
- 400g bunched carrots
- 300g dark speckled lentils
- 1 chicken stock cube
- A handful of rosemary
- 40g honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 pork leg steaks
- 2 apples
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 600ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 55 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill and boil your kettle. Peel and finely chop the red onions. Trim the green tops off the carrots and set them aside for later. Scrub the carrots (no need to peel) and thickly slice them.
2. Tumble the veg into a large roasting tin or shallow casserole dish. Tip in the lentils and crumble in the stock cube. Drop in the rosemary sprigs. Pour in 600ml hot water from the kettle and 2 tbsp olive oil. Stir in a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with a double layer of foil or a lid and slide into the oven for 40 mins.
3. Meanwhile, pour the honey and mustard onto a large plate. Mix in 1 tbsp olive oil and pinch of salt and pepper. Pop the pork steaks onto the plate and turn them a few times to coat. Set aside to marinate while the lentils cook.
4. Quarter the apples and slice out the cores. Halve each quarter so you have around 16 wedges.
5. When the lentils have cooked for 40 mins, remove them from the oven. Most of the liquid should be absorbed and the lentils tender. Gently stir. Place the pork steaks on top of the lentils and tuck the apple wedges around them. Slide back into the oven for 15 mins till the pork is cooked through and the apples are soft.
6. Meanwhile, give a handful of the carrot leaves and stalks a good wash, then pat dry with kitchen paper and finely chop. See our tip below on what to do with the remaining carrot tops.
7. Take the pork out of the oven. Lift the pork steaks out of the pan onto 4 warm plates. Stir most of the chopped carrot tops into the lentils. Taste and add more salt or pepper if you think they need it. Spoon the lentils, veg and tin juices onto the plates with the pork steaks. Garnish with the remaining carrot tops to serve.