- 150g salted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 lime
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A few tbsp Gooseberry, Gin & Lime Jam
- 75g icing sugar
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Beat the butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy. Crack in the egg and beat till combined. Finely grate in the lime zest (keep the lime for later), then tip in the flour and baking powder and beat together till everything is well combined and you have a soft dough. Cover the bowl with a beeswax wrapper or tea towel and chill in the fridge for 2-3 hrs or overnight.
2. When you're ready to make the biscuits, preheat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Dust your work surface with a little flour and scoop the dough out of the bowl. Gently knead to make a smooth round, then roll out the dough till it's around 1cm thick. Stamp out biscuits with hearts or rounds, rerolling the trimmings till you have used the dough up. You should get around 10-20 biscuits, depending on the size of your cutter.
3. Place the biscuits on the baking tray and gently press your thumb into the middle of each one to create a little dip. Add ½-1 tsp Gooseberry, Gin & Lime Jam to each dip. Bake for 12-15 mins till the biscuits are golden. Let the biscuits cool on the tray for 5-10 mins, then lift onto a wire rack and let them cool completely.
4. Tip the icing sugar into a small bowl and squeeze the juice from the lime, stirirng to make a smooth icing. Dip a fork into the icing and flick it back and forth to lightly streak the biscuits. Let the icing set, then transfer the biscuits to a sealed container and store for up to 3 days.