- 4-6 hot cross buns, halved
- A dab of butter for each bun and your dish
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 250ml double cream
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 eggs
- 75g raw cane sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- A handful of dried fruit, chopped if necessary
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Lightly butter 4-6 ramekins or a baking dish which will hold your buns in a single layer.
2. Toast your hot cross buns. Butter the insides like you would normally. Set to one side.
3. Pour the milk and cream into a pan, then add the vanilla and mixed spice. Warm through for a few mins till steaming hot.
4. Whisk the eggs, sugar and orange zest together in a heatproof mixing bowl till pale. Pour the warm milk and cream mix into the bowl. Whisk till it thickens a bit. Add your buns to the mix and turn so they’re coated.
5. Arrange the bottom halves of each bun in your dish(es). Scatter a good pinch of dried fruit over each one. Pop the top half on. Pour enough custard over to come just over half way up (keep any leftover custrad for later). Let the buns soak for 15 mins before baking.
6. Bake till golden on top and the custard is thick, about 30 mins. Sieve the remaining custard into a clean pan. Warm over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, till thickened to your liking. Serve the puds with the warm custard on the side.