- 1 onion
- 2 x 400g cannelini beans
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- ½-1 tsp harissa paste
- 40g tomato sauce
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Peel and finely chop the onion. Place a deep frying pan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the onion has started to soften and lightly brown.
2. Meanwhile, drain the cannellini beans and rinse them under cold water. Finely chop the parsley stalks, setting the leaves aside for later.
3. Stir the parsley stalks into the onion, along with ½-1 tsp harissa paste (it's spicy, so use as much or as little as you prefer). Cook and stir for 1 min.
4. Tip in the cannellini beans. Add the tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes. Top up the pan with 200ml boiling water and stir to mix. Pop a lid on the pan (or use a baking tray if you don't have a lid). Simmer for 5-6 mins, stirring once or twice, till the sauce has thickened a little.
5. Taste the beans and add a pinch of salt, pepper or more harissa paste, if you think it needs it. Crack the eggs into the pan and put the lid back on. Poach the eggs in the beans for 3-5 mins, till they are as set as you prefer.
6. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Spoon the eggs and beans into 2 warm bowls and garnish with the chopped parsley leaves to serve.