- 2 aubergines
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 225g halloumi
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 330ml cherry tomato passata
- 25g pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Trim the stem ends from the aubergines and chop the aubergines into 2cm-thick cubes. Warm a deep frying pan or wok on a high heat for 1 min, then pour in 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the diced aubergines with a good pinch of salt and fry for 7-8 mins, stirring often, till they are soft and golden brown.
2. While the aubergines fry, preheat your grill to a medium-high setting. Peel and finely grate or crush the garlic cloves. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Coarsely grate the halloumi.
3. When the aubergine has browned, add the garlic and 2 tsp fennel seeds. Fry, gently stirring, for 2 mins. Pour in the cherry tomato passata and add the chickpeas. Bring up to a bubble, then take off the heat. Taste and add more salt, or some pepper if you think it needs it.
4. If your frying pan is ovenproof, leave the aubergine mixture in the pan. Otherwise transfer it to a medium sized baking dish. Top with the grated halloumi.
5. Slide the pan or dish under the grill for 4-5 mins till the halloumi has started to melt and brown. Scatter over the pine nuts and slide back under the grill for 1-2 mins till the aubergine and pine nuts are golden. Cool for a few mins, then serve on a couple of warm plates.