- 1 whole smoked kipper
- 50g butter
- 6 eggs
- 5 tbsp full cream milk
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful of chives
- 1 lemon
- Buttered toast, to serve
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Total: 20 mins
1. Warm your grill to medium-high. Line a baking tray with tin foil and add the kipper, skin-side down. Dot half the butter over the kipper. Set the baking tray to one side.
2. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and add 5 tbsp milk and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk well together.
3. Add the remaining butter to a medium pan and melt it over a medium-low heat. Pour in the whisked eggs. Cook for 10-15 mins, stirring frequently, till the eggs have thickened but are still a little runny. If you prefer firmer scrambled eggs, cook them on a slightly higher heat and stir less frequently.
4. When the eggs are nearly cooked, slide the kipper under the hot grill. Cook for 4-5 mins, till the bones pull away easily from the flesh. Finely chop or snip the chives.
5. Spoon the eggs onto 2 plates and add flaked pieces of grilled kipper to each. Sprinkle over the chives and serve with lemon wedges and buttered toast on the side.