- 500g rainbow beetroot
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g gnocchi
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- A handful of basil leaves
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim any greens off the bunch of beetroot – you can save the greens and cook them like spinach.
2. Give the beetroot a good wash, then slice into wedges. Tumble the beetroot into a roasting tin. Drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat, then pour 100ml water into the tin. Cover the tin with foil, crimping it to the edges to seal it, or use a lid. Roast in the oven for 30 mins till tender – a skewer or knife should be easily able to pierce the beetroot.
3. When the beetroot have roasted for 30 mins, remove the foil and drizzle over 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Return to the oven and roast for 10 mins more.
4. Meanwhile, fill a large pan with water. Add a pinch of salt, cover and set on a high heat to come to the boil. When the water is boiling, add the gnocchi and simmer for 3-4 mins, till the gnocchi bob to the surface of the pan. Drain well.
5. Take the roasting tin out of the oven and tip in the gnocchi. Toss gently to mix. Drizzle over 2 tbsp pesto and serve, garnished with a few basil leaves. Serve straight away.