- 500g bunched rainbow beetroot
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g gnocchi
- 2 tbsp basil pesto with tofu
- A handful of basil leaves
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the greens off the bunch of beetroot, leaving a few cm of stalks still attached. You can save the greens to cook later, like spinach, or compost them.
2. Give the beetroot a good wash, then slice them into wedges. Tumble the beetroot into a roasting tin. Drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat, then pour 100ml water into the tin. Cover the tin with foil, crimping it to the edges to seal it, or use a lid. Slide the beetroot into the oven and roast for 30 mins till tender – a skewer or knife should be able to easily pierce the beetroot.
3. While the beetroot roast, fill a large pan with water. Add a pinch of salt, cover and set on a high heat to come to the boil. When the beetroot have roasted for 30 mins, remove the foil and drizzle over 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Return to the oven and roast for 10 mins more.
4. When the water in the pan is boiling, add the gnocchi and simmer for 3-4 mins till the gnocchi bob to the surface of the pan. Drain them and set aside.
5. Take the roasting tin out of the oven and tip in the gnocchi. Toss gently to mix. Drizzle over 2 tbsp pesto and serve, garnished with a few basil leaves.