- A nugget of unsalted butter
- 2 large or 6 smaller shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 ltr chicken or veg stock
- 60g chervil, roughly chopped
- 100ml double cream or crème fraîche
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, white if possible
- 4-6 poached eggs, to serve (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the shallots. Cook till soft, about 10 mins. Add the potato. Cook for 5 mins.
2. Add the stock. Bring to a simmer. Cook till the potato is very tender, about 10 mins.
3. Take the soup off the heat. Set a few nice sprigs of chervil aside for the garnish. Stir in the rest. Whizz till smooth in a blender or food processor.
4. Return to the pan. Add the double cream or crème fraiche. Reheat gently – don’t let it boil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with a little more chopped chervil sprinkled over the top, or with a poached egg floating in each bowl of soup.