- 250g fusilli or penne pasta
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few drizzles of olive oil
- A handful of almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 mug breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 head of broccoli or seasonal greens*, finely chopped
- 150g cream cheese
- 150ml milk
- 100g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- A good grating of nutmeg (optional)
- A pinch of chilli powder
*If you’re out of broccoli swap it for leeks, spring greens, chard, kale, cavelo nero, spinach or a combo.
You can also swap the almonds for snips of crispy bacon. Delicious with cavelo nero and toasted chestnuts added to the mix.
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the pasta, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil.
2. In a frying pan, toast the almonds until fragrant and just coloured. Tip into a dish. Set aside.
3. Put the pan back on the heat. Add a splash of olive oil. Add the garlic. Swirl in the breadcrumbs. Toast until golden. Scrape into a separate dish. Set aside.
4. Return the pan to the heat again. This time cook your broccoli in a touch of oil, over high heat. Season. Let it pick up a hit of colour around the edges. Then, spoon in a few splashes of water. Just enough to sizzle up, evaporate and gently steam the broccoli till crisp tender.
5. Drain the pasta. Pour the milk, cheeses, nutmeg and chilli into the warm pasta pan. Place over medium heat. Swirl cheeses together. Add the pasta, broccoli and toasted almonds. Taste. Adjust seasoning. Add more nutmeg, chilli or parmesan, if needed.
6. Finish with breadcrumbs and extra Parmesan over the top. Toast a bit further in a 200C/Gas 6 oven, if you like (just 5-10 mins).