- 1 head of green cabbage, like Savoy
- 3 garlic cloves
- 500ml veg or chicken stock
- A good splash of olive oil or a little butter
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A few sage or bay leaves (optional)
Amazing with bangers and mash.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
2. Cut your cabbage into quarters or about 6 chunky wedges. Slice through the knobbly stem and keep it in to ensure the wedges stay in tact. Crush the garlic cloves with the side of a knife. Remove the peel.
3. Warm your stock in a saucepan.
4. Sizzle the wedges in a large frying pan, with a little butter or oil, the garlic and a few sage or bay leaves, if you fancy. Season well. Once the cabbage wedges are lightly golden on each cut side, nestle them in a roasting tin, along with the garlic and herbs.
5. Pour the stock over. Pop in the oven to roast until the cabbage is nicely tender right the way through, 20-25mins.