- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 400ml boiling water
- 200g cavolo nero
- 100g white crab meat
- 1 tbsp vegan fischy sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Trim and dice the carrot. Warm a deep frying pan on a medium heat for 1 min, then drizzle in ½ tbsp olive oil. Add the onion and carrot with a good pinch of salt and fry for 8 mins till softened, stirring often.
2. While the veg cook, tip the rice into a bowl and cover it with cold water. Set to one side. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Fill and boil the kettle.
3. When the veg is nearly cooked, drain and rinse the rice. Add the garlic to the pan of veg, along with 1 tsp turmeric and 2 tsp mild curry powder. Cook and stir for 1 min, then tip the rice into the pan, stir and cook for another 1 min.
4. Pour 400ml hot water from the kettle into the pan and stir. Pop a lid on the pan (or use a baking tray if you don't have a lid). Simmer for 25-30 mins, till the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir once or twice and add a splash more water if you need to.
5. While the rice is cooking, finely shred the cavolo nero, slicing off and discarding the dry ends.
6. When the rice is tender and cooked through, add the cavolo nero, half the crab meat and 1 tbsp fischy sauce to the pan. Stir and cook for 5 mins till the cavolo nero has softened.
7. Taste the kedgeree and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Scoop the kedgeree into 2 warmed bowls. Top with the remaining crab meat and a crack of black pepper to serve.