- 150g white basmati rice
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp sunflower, coconut or olive oil
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 1 leek
- 200g white mushrooms
- 2 tsp China 5 spice
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Pop on a lid, bring to the boil and then turn the heat right down. Very gently cook for 8 mins till all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
2. While the rice is cooking, put a wok or deep frying pan on a high heat and add ½ tbsp oil and the chicken. Fry, stirring often, for 8 mins till golden brown all over.
3. While the chicken fries, trim the roots and top 3cm off the leek. Slice a cross in the top of the leek and open it out so you can rinse out any grit. Finely slice the leek and put a pinch of very finely sliced leek to one side for garnishing. Rinse and tear the mushrooms into pieces.
4. Add the leek and mushrooms to the wok. Stir fry for 5 mins, till the veg are soft and look glossy.
5. Add 2 tsp China 5 spice to the wok with 2 tbsp tamari. Stir fry for 1 min till the dish is aromatic.
6. Tip the rice into the wok. Fry, stirring, for 1 min to mix everything together. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil to the wok and stir a few times to mix. Taste the rice and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Divide the rice between 2 warm bowls and serve, garnished with the finely sliced leek.