- A handful of seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower or sesame
- A drizzle of honey or agave syrup
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of mixed spice
- 1 mug of oats
- 2 mugs of milk (we used almond drink but any will do)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- A handful of walnuts, chopped
1. Start by making the topping: preheat your oven to 100°C/Fan 80°C/Gas ½ and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Add a handful of seeds to the tray. Drizzle over a little honey or agave syrup and dust with a pinch of cinnamon and mixed spice. Slide the seeds into the oven for 10 mins. When they come out the oven they may be a little stuck together – just break them apart to scatter over your porridge.
2. Tip the oats and milk into a pan and warm them gently over a low-medium heat for around 10 mins, stirring often, till thick. After 10 mins add the carrots and walnuts to the pan and stir. Spoon the carrot cake porridge into warm bowls and serve topped with the sweet and spicy seeds.