- 250g diced chicken leg
- 2 tsp Cajun spice
- 1 yellow or red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400g tinned black beans
- 1 avocado
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 100ml water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. If using wooden skewers, soak them first. No skewers? No problem. You can just pan fry the chicken when we get to that step. Tumble the chicken into a bowl with 2 tsp Cajun spice and 2 tsp olive oil. Mix well and set aside.
2. Roughly chop the pepper, discarding the seeds and stem. Pop into a pan. Peel 1 of the garlic cloves. Slice it. Add it to the pan with 100ml water, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 mins or till fully tender, adding a little more water if needed. Blend till smooth or leave chunky. Season to taste.
3. Set a large frying pan over a high heat. Thread your chicken onto skewers, if using. Press into the hot pan using a spatula or use the weight of a smaller, heavy frying pan. Cook for 7 mins on each side, or till the meat is white all the way through – the juices should also run clear when pierced with a knife.
4. Set the chicken skewers aside. Keep your pan on the hob. Lower the heat right down. Drain your beans. Tumble half into the pan with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Save the other half for another time (see our tip below), or use them all if you're not calorie counting. Peel and chop the other garlic clove and the parsley stalks. Add the garlic and stalks to the pan with 1 tbsp vinegar. Cook for 3-4 mins till the beans jump and crisp up a little.
5. Pile your beans onto plates. Roughly chop your parsley leaves. Scatter half of it on top. Set your skewers on the beans.
6. Halve, stone and peel the avocado. Thinly slice. Fan the avocado slices next to your beans. Dust a little salt and pepper over. Pour your pepper sauce into a little dipping pot (or just drizzle it alongside). Sprinkle over the remaining parsley and serve.